Eurochocolate is an annual event dedicated to the culture of chocolate. Founded in 1994, today it is the largest and the most important chocolate event in Europe – it attracts almost a million of visitors. The 25thedition of Eurochocolate (Eurochocolate 2018) took place from October 19th to October 28th in Perugia. The event ran along the main streets and squares of the historic city center.
During the 10 days, a large number of people, coming from all over Italy and Europe, attended the event, occupying the streets and squares of the historic center of the city, using the car parking, the train station, and the subway stations. The organizers of the event expressed to need for a solution able to monitor the flows of attendees, to monitor their presence, to guarantee a pleasant experience, and to analyze their information for communication and future planning purposes.
The managers of Eurochocolate expressed great interest in the platform, because it allowed them to combine the qualitative considerations with the technical ones and to make them available to the security organs, so as to evaluate the corrective actions to be implemented in the course of the next editions, so that they can enjoy the event in maximum safety. In more details, Eurochocolate organizers were interested in:
- Study the city presence of certain categories of people: male/female, age group, regional origin.
- Study the flow of movement of people within the city (shuttles, metro, bus, car).
- Study the flows of access to the city on the main transport routes.
- Increase security by monitoring the concentration of people.
- Optimize the flow of access to the city and city mobility.
- Provide data for planning future events and city planning.
- Identify problems of traffic and travel on “unofficial” roads.
To this end, the WELCOME solution was set-up and deployed to perform geographical analysis, and to understand the concentration of people at different times of the day, in collaboration with Olivetti and thanks to the financing of EiT Digital